This is a place to list changes that have been made to
the hangman solver dictionary. I've had
lots of people send suggestions and want a way to acknowledge (or
sometimes rebut) their suggestions. If you find your suggestions
listed here, and want me to change the way I refer to you, let me know
- (11/16/2008) Tyler suggested a whole lot of plurals, which got me
started on changing the dictionary.
- (5/2/2010) Someone suggested that I add british spellings to the
new enhanced dictionary, so I went and grabbed them.
- (5/24/2010) Joely suggested rascal, which was already there.
- (5/29/2010) Someone suggested dishwashing, which still isn't in
there. I'm not sure why.
- (6/10/2010) Someone suggested stroll, which was already there, as
well as "vacent", which I believe is a misspelling of vacant.
- (8/30/2010) Someone suggested "dammage". No, I will not be adding
misspellings of words.
- (10/15/2010) Tim suggested an expandable list for showing more
than 10 but fewer than some larger number of matches. Now there is
- (11/24/2010) Someone seggested "sphynx". I added it. I added
"dishwashing" while I was at it.
- (1/3/2011) Someone observed that "--ast" doesn't return "toast" as
an option. This is because "t" was already guessed. If you include
your e-mail address, I can reply to you directly.
- (3/16/2011) Nick suggested including the names of countries. I
explained that multi-word puzzles are beyond the scope of this little
hangman solver and he suggested including the component words of
multi-word countries. That was reasonable and easy, so I did it.
- (4/16/2011) Travis noticed that yellowjacket was missing. Added.
- (4/18/2011) Mark observed that non-ASCII characters count as
two. It turns out the dictionary was in UTF-8 and the solver dealt
with ASCII only. I pulled all the words containing extra characters
out of the dictionary.
- (6/10/2011) Tony found a bug in the way guessed letters are
handled. It's fixed now.
- (6/14/2011) David Y observed that "blog" was missing. Added.
- (6/15/2011) Jessica tried to use question marks instead of
dashes. It caused a server error, which is no good. I modified the
script to accept both.
- (6/21/2011) Chris Graham suggested morph. Added.
- (6/21/2011) Added chode. Talk about obscure...chided?
- (6/21/2011) Siddarth suggested cardio. In it goes.
- (6/22/2011) Added
word list, since it's what hanging with friends uses.
- (6/22/2011) Added pyros. Thanks, Chris.
- (6/28/2011) Someone suggested adding a clear button for resetting
the fields between games. Done.
- (7/1/2011) Equipt wasn't there. Britishified.
- (7/5/2011) Greg pointed out that plex wasn't in the
dictionary. Merriam and Webster agree, but Zynga is now the author of
- (7/5/2011) Greg Case found a bug with the new UI reordering
letters in long words. Fixed. I also made the guess easier to spot.
- (7/8/2011) Someone pointed out that birdy was not in the
dictionary. Now it is.
- (7/12/2011) Katie observed that bling was missing. Fixed.
- (7/18/2011) Someone noted that cyber was not in the dictionary. Sigh-ber.
- (9/27/2011) Multi is in hanging with friends.
- (11/3/2011) Voxel wasn't in my dictionary! Thanks, Sky.
- (11/6/2011) Bobby pointed out that texted was not in the dictionary.
- (11/20/2011) "IDunCheat" added hijab and ptui to my list.
- (11/29/2011) Nathaniel pointed out that "zine", short for magazine is in dictionaries.
- (12/4/2011) Tim sent an email saying 'Mega'. I interpreted it.
- (12/7/2011) Ryan told me that "droid" was missing.
- (4/6/2012) Added "recordkeeping" thanks to Ichi.
- (4/6/2012) Sarah R found "bowtie" and in it went.
- (5/13/2012) Lauren Bullock pointed out the absence of "burqa". It's been found.
- (8/1/2012) Someone sent me an email saying "VOTIVES missing!" No longer!
- (10/23/2012) dutchdj pointed out that firewall was missing.
- (12/5/2012) Rhia told me about butch and camo.
- (9/9/2013) Someone noticed the absence of "maxed".
- (1/13/2013) Don pointed out that "bibacious" was missing.
- (7/27/2015) Someone put hierogram on the list. It's been a while.
- (1/26/2016) Donald suggested I add a bunch of proper nouns (days of the week, months, planets) and I did.
- (7/26/2016) Someone pointed out that catotpromancy was missing.
- (11/12/2016) Halloween is a proper noun, but who cares?